My rant on Home….


Ok, so I booted up my PS3 the other day just to, you know…..play some games. During my time navigating the XMB I ran across the Home icon. Then I thought, wth, let's see what's new in the world of Home. After Home got done with all the downloading and loading, I appeared in my apartment. I ran around a couple minutes then ventured into the outside area to see what was going on with other PS3 users. It took me no more then 10 seconds to realize how much a waste of time Home is. Maybe it's just me, but it irritates me to think about the time I wasted getting Home up and running. I could have been playing something else. I understand that Home is supposed to be some kind of social networking hub where you can meet new people to get your game on with, but I would much rather just meet people online through an actual game. I could see myself liking Home if I was into chat rooms and such, but not as a gamer. Then again, these are just my thoughts about it. You very well could be a gamer, enjoy Home, and understand what the purpose is, but for some reason I cannot.

Another thing that gets me is just how much time and money Sony has put into getting Home up and running. I can't remember the initial amount but I know that when I heard about it, I thought, "Home must be something really groundbreaking if there willing to put that much effort into it." Everybody was talking about it and it was getting great recognition about how it was supposed to be the next great thing to come to gaming since Live. I'm not going to hide it either, I thought Home was going to be all sorts of awesome, but that feeling was short-lived after the open beta rolled out. It seems to me that it will always be an open beta too, because Sony is afraid to admit that Home is broken and doesn't work like they had hoped. It just makes you wish that Sony put the time and money into a new IP or actual try to put more support towards 3rd parties or something. I don't know, I just think that where Sony is standing right now financially, they could have put their resources somewhere else. Sony claims that they have made $1 million off of Home so far and that they have gotten a hold of all of these endorsements from different companies, but how far will it take them? I don't mean to sound so bitter about the matter, but Home could have been something we could have lived without, in my opinion.

What is everybody else's take on Home? It almost seems like it doesn't get brought up anymore. To tell you the truth I almost forgot about it until I just happen to stumble across it the other day. I don't know, maybe Home will turn out to be something great, but right now, in my opinion, it's a complete waste of time. Maybe someone that uses it often can take me on a tour and show me what is so great about it or something and maybe I will change my mind. Until then though, I'm sorry to say it, my thoughts are down on Home.

////End rant////

Travis (MWG)


6 comments:

  1. Dude...I heard Home was a complete and utter Epic Fail! Bugs, laggin issues and a whole lot of nobody using it...Rejoice XBOX users...we have won again! My opinion: Sony is going to try and make us forget about this little experiement in Social Networking...meaning brush it under the rug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own a P3 yet but everything I've heard about Home just sounds awful and like a spectacular waste of time and money. Out of the P3 owners I know 100% of them ignore Home and have voiced their opinion on it being worthless. Penny Arcade had a good post/comic about Home when it launched if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you Trav. At one time I couldn't wait for Home and thought it would be a bonus for us PS3 owners. So far it has been CRAP. I wish Sony would have waited a bit longer before they released it, but PS3 fans 'just couldn't wait'. For now, it sucks.

    Later this year though, things will change. The 'EA Sports Complex' hits in April and MTV Multiplayer had some hands-on time with it and said that it's REALLY good, with plenty of content and mini-games.

    Just give it some time..patience is a virtue!

    Keep on the good work, you three!

    Thomas the PS3 Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it does seem pretty useless...probably just their attempt to cash in on what Microsoft has done with the XBOX Live interface.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my PS3 just as much as the next guy and I'm not trying to put a bash on Sony or make this into any type of fanboyism, there's just sometimes Sony makes you wonder what they were thinking releasing Home in the first place.

    I still do have hope for Home and maybe it will be a great thing once Sony can get the ball rolling on it. Who knows though. I just hope I didn't come off as some kind of fanboy by posting this, because I'm far from it actually. :)

    Travis(MWG)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't all those home features like chatting and playing pool, watching movies together not be used via a 2D interface? That would be a win, because not everyone likes navigating his character through 3D worlds for things that could be solved more quickly.

    ReplyDelete