My appreciation for Flower


Ever since I took the time to admire the first screenshots of Flower, I’ve been anxiously waiting for the games release. Well Flower is finally here and I would have to admit that visually, Flower is one of the best looking games I have played in a long time. I’ve always been one to admire an artistic take on graphics rather than the heavy hitting type such as Gears of War or Killzone. While I’m a sucker for those types of game, it’s always nice to just play through a game that fleshes out simple gameplay design for a much appreciated experience.

As a player, you guide a flower petal through vast open fields. At first the maps yield a plain look to them but then open up to a much colorful landscape to admire. Flowers are littered throughout the maps and usually take you from one area to the other. As you fly through these flowers, you open them up and give life to the area around them and usually open up new paths to follow. The way the controls work in Flower are purely worked around the Sixaxis. You basically tilt the controller the way you want to go and hit any other button on the controller to move forward. I usually hate using the Sixaxis controls but they work really well for Flower. I know it must sound boring but really the game is extremely satisfying. When you finish a level and see it in all of its glory, you cant help but get this extreme sense of accomplishment.

I’ve only touched the surface of the game so I can’t speak for everything but the first level itself is very satisfying. Who would have ever thought that guiding a flower pedal through the air would be that much fun? I’ve only made it to the 4th stage and things are starting to really be picking up. The game starts to take a deeper path and the environments are starting to show a much darker side to the game. I’m really curious as to what else Flower has to bring. Things are really starting to get interesting and I cannot wait to play through some more of the game. If you have a PS3 then everybody should definitely give this a shot.

Travis(MWG)

7 comments:

  1. Two Questions:

    1. I heard the visuals aren't all they are cracked up to be?

    2. I also heard that it gets extremely reperititve after first hour of play

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's for games like this one that sometimes I wish I had a PS3. These are truly the exclusive games that make the PS3 look inviting. Heck, I only have my 360 thanks to a Mountain Dew giveaway, and since then I've only seen a few games that stand out enough to make me want a PS3. But $400 cover charge just to get started? I'm sorry Sony, I just can't do it.

    -Phil, Inside The Console

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been keeping an eye on this game and it's one of the few reason I wish I had a PS3 but I from what I've heard so far it's a game built on a really good concept, but not a deep enough one to build an entire game around? I'd definately be interested in an update from you on this one when you've gotten to sink your teeth in some more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I run www.theplaystation3guys.blogspot.com and one of our main contributors, Stormtrance Matt, is as casual a gamer as they come, LOVES the game. I will be getting Flower and Noby Noby Boy VERY soon. Nice to see some PS3 coverage on MWG! Thanks Travis, lol.

    To Overlord, the visuals ARE what they were cracked up to be. For a PSN title, it looks damn good on a SDTV and amazing on a HDTV.

    To Phil, yeah...$400 to get start is a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. If an Arcade cost $200, then you add-on a Wifi adapter for $100 (going first party here) then $50 a year for Xbox live gold, and what's a 60gb hard drive? $100 on Amazon.com?? I can buy a 320GB for my PS3 for $30 less than a 120GB hard drive for the 360 cost!

    Look for a price-cut by June..if you can wait until then, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I'm surprised to be hearing more about this game, and from guys, too! My buddy Keith is really into this game, even though it seems like the last title he'd ever pick up (I guess he's more into really unique games with a good concept). He had a lot of praise for this one. He and his girlfriend were playing it all weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @OverloadStryker:
    1.I love the visuals. There more artistic then complex but make great use of the setting. Never have I seen such great looking blades of grass in a game, lol. Its just really great to look at. If you can get your hands on some great quality screenshots or good videos then you can see how good it looks. It definitely helps if you can play it yourself though.

    2. The game does get a little repetitive I guess you could say but until stage 4, they don't really throw in much variety other than flying around and grabbing pedals. The game is now taking a much darker approach and you actually got to watch what you do. I really don't want to give too much of the game away and all I can say as the game gets really interesting.

    Thanks for all your responses! I plan on playing more of it on the weekend. I hear its not long, which I didn't expect it to be, so I'm sure I can get through it more. I'll make sure to update everybody on my experience!

    Travis(MWG)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the comment, alessandra! It's always good to know someone's reading. Feel free to comment anytime!

    Matt (MWG)

    ReplyDelete