Boulder Punching: To punch, or to double punch? - A Resident Evil 5 Review-ish



















It's hard to complain about any installment within a series that's been wow-ing me since I was a wee lad. Despite the few complaints I have (generic story, forced gears-esque action sequences, and some mentally insulting puzzles), this is a really great installment in the Resident Evil Series.

While the story isn't all that entertaining, it does wrap a few things up that we've all been wondering about since the earlier games. The summation of the general RE story-line means that the possibilities are endless as far as what new characters and story will be introduced in the next game. It will be interesting to see where they go with it.

The controls are even more fun and user-friendly than Resident Evil 4. While I'm a die-hard fan of the old-school tank controls, the new control scheme makes for a more accessible game. A more accessible game means more gamers playing Resident Evil 5, which makes me happy.

Speaking of more gamers. The best way to play Resident Evil 5 is with another human player. While the AI is competent when it comes to technical tasks (aiming, shooting, collecting), it is completely useless as far as strategy, survival, and item management goes. And it's these aspects of the game that make the co-op experience so much fun.

The game is full of replayability as well. Along with the unlock-able weapons and costumes that Resident Evil fans will be familiar with, comes a shload of unlockables including history files, figurines, and game modes that will have you coming back for a second and third play-through.

Resident Evil 5 is a well-polished action/horror game that is well worth the money. Grab a friend, brace yourself, and "enter survival horror".......kind of.

Matt (MWG)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's a great game. But can someone tell me how to unlock new levels in the mercenaries? Is there a certain score you need?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got RE5 during the weekend and I couldn't agree more with ya Matt. I'm really liking it so far. A lot more than I thought I would. The demo doesn't do RE5 any sort of justice. This is a great game.

    It's really annoying that the controversy with race got out of hand. I don't know, maybe it just goes over my head, but playing it, I don't sense any problem with it. The controls also don't bother me. Once I got used to them, I was fine. Its just like learning the controls with any other game. Just takes some time to get used to.

    I'm having a great time with it though. Of course I've only played single player so far and I'm defintaly looking forward to co-op play.

    As for the mercenaries mode Hans, I haven't gotten to beat it yet so I can't tell ya how to unlock anything, so I think Matt will have to help you on that one. Thanks for commenting btw!

    Travis(MWG)

    ReplyDelete